Starhaven Villas promotes an active lifestyle before and after retirement. The options available to get out and move your body are abundant and can foster an effective routine of healthy exercise.
Part of a healthy, active lifestyle is nourishing your body properly. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans provides some healthy tips for eating.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. They can be fresh, frozen or canned. Dark green vegetables such as leafy greens like spinach or kale are especially good for your health. If you can’t seem to incorporate them into your meals, try making a fruit smoothie for breakfast and, along with your fruit, include spinach, kale or okra. It won’t change the taste, but your body will love you for it.
- Vary protein choices with more fish, beans and peas. Establish a habit of eating fish 1-2 times a week along with a meatless chili.
- Eat at least 3 ounces of whole-grain cereals, bread, crackers, rice or pasta every day. Whole grains are especially healthy.
- 3 servings of low-fat dairy is also recommended each day.
- When eating fats, choose polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats. Plant-based fat are healthier than animal fats. Try adding some avocado and nuts to your meals and snacks.
- If you are trying to avoid spikes in your blood sugar or insulin levels, separate your fuels. Eat protein and carbohydrates together or protein and fats together. Separate carbs and fats. If you’ve eaten a meal with protein and fat, wait a minimum of 3 hours before having a meal with protein and carbohydrates.
At Starhaven Villas we desire the best years of your life to be your retirement years. We encourage habits that will improve your quality of life for many years to come. Healthy eating habits are foundational to maintaining a healthful and happy life.